Saturday 27 October 2012

Week 13 Reflection


The topic and readings this week further enlightened me on the challenges of online learning in the context of the South Pacific countries. Gold, et.al., (2002) presents the following as challenges faced by online learners of USP.

·      Student access to computers
·      Lack of electricity or telephone service
·      Travelling to the nearest technology center is impossible
·      Cost to own a computer and/or using a computer and the internet is exorbitant
·      Scarce resources to develop technology-based materials (expensive)
·       Inexperience of distance education staff of the technology

My reflection
The above challenges or realities of using technology at USP show that the university should dedicate more of its time and money to bettering the situations in its regional campuses by providing more access to computers, improving electricity, training its online learning staff.

If I were asked what the major challenge of online learning at USP is, I’d vouch for the last point above – inexperience of distance education staff of the technology – including their lack of awareness of what entails online learning, and their lack of training on developing successful online learning courses.

From experience, two years ago, USP made a commitment that it will become a fully (100%) online learning institution resulted in many like me having no choice but use Moodle to deliver my course. With the support of a colleague from the Centre of Flexible and Distance Learning (CFDL), plus the few workshops conducted by way of introducing the concept of Moodle and giving some practice for the participants, I was able to upload the content of my course on Moodle ready for learners’ use. The course looked perfect online and I thought, well, my students would enjoy and benefit from this course. I was proud of myself, but little did I know of the glitches fundamental to the success of online learning.

First and foremost challenge in my course is the lack of interaction and participation from students. A Forum was created; students were told of what the forum was for and what they have to do; questions were posted for them to respond to; they were reminded many times to participate in the forums, but to no avail. There was neither single response nor a posting, let alone meaningful, in these. The Forums were used only for clarifications on assignment submissions and test dates; nothing at all that might have triggered a meaningful discussion and learning experience.  I was frustrated because I could not communicate meaningfully with my learners, but I did not know how to improve the situation then. If I had had the proper training of developing online courses, I would not be frustrated neither were my learners.  

Secondly, the fact that there were no student engagements contributed to the boringness of the course and lack of motivation on learners to meet the requirements of the course.  Again, I had no idea that I can increase student motivation by making the course interesting with the inclusion of online learning tools, authentic assessments, and varieties of activities like teamwork where they communicate with members of the group to achieve the task.  If I had the proper awareness and training on delivering online learning, my learners would have enjoyed the course.

Thirdly, the students were not taken into consideration in relation to the first reality pointed out by Gold, et.al. (2002) above. The decision by USP management to go online learning full time assumed that distance learners have had access to computer and internet connectivity. If computer accessibility is an issue in the pacific region; what about computer literacy? Many of my students come to the course finding the use of computer intimidating because they have never used before. Ok, what about English language literacy? At what level of language usage should the communication be pitched? I believe, that all these should be done right at the beginning of the course or before the commencement of the semester – carryout your students’ needs analysis – to find out what they need and to give you ideas on how to assist them to enhance their learning.

USP has a long way to go in terms of online learning particularly where his distance education staff and students are concerned. The literature also offers a rich body of research on whole range of aspects pertaining the success of online learning. The links below are two examples.

http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ers0303/rs/ers03036.pdf This article talks about the impact of e-learning on instructors and students, some which are relevant to our context.

http://eprints.oum.edu.my/145/1/issues_and_challenges.pdf In this article, the issues and challenges of implementing e-learning in Malaysia were discussed. Many of these are similar to what we face here at USP.

Best!


No comments:

Post a Comment