Tuesday 11 September 2012

Week 4 Reflection: Online Learning Tools


This week I learned about more online learning tools, in particular to audio-video conferencing tools such voki, and also about the myths about synchronous teaching. I am grateful for the week’s topic and readings because they cleared my doubts about the inability of online teaching to engage learners in a successful way, simply because of the absence (physically) of the teacher/facilitator.  The readings on the myths really helped also in clarifying some of my doubts. In fact some of these had been in mind even before I take up ED403, and now I am really glad I did because I never thought online learning would be as successful as traditional learning or face-to-face learning. Now I am really convinced of its worth and the key to its success depends largely on the facilitator and how the course is designed – content matters most.

The online learning tools that listed on http://c4lpt.co.uk/directory-of-learning-performance-tools/ allow facilitators to create, deliver, manage and/or track learning and/or provide a social learning atmosphere. There is a wide range of tools that one can choose from to suit the intended purpose. I am looking forward to exploring these particularly those that can be used to give a sense of my presence in the virtual classroom, such as voki, webinar. In this way the learners can hear my voice and also clarify any doubts they may have over the printed materials. Learning is made a lot easier by using online learning tools. However, at the development stage one has to take extra care in choosing the right, appropriate or suitable one and test it to ensure it works before it is incorporated into the course. This is because what may work for you on your desktop at your workplace may not be working for your learners at a remote island in Kiribati. As facilitators also, there is a need to spend more time to explore these and familarise yourself with the different tools. I also think that one has to be clear of the purpose of using a tool so that he/she does not spend un-necessary time going through each one in trying to select a good one.

This week’s task of creating our own voki was very interesting and challenging at the same time. First, it took me a while to create my voki which cannot be viewed by the course facilitator. Everything in that platform was very new to me and I kind of frightened to click buttons in case I did something wrong. Besides instructions were not clear to me so I had to learn through trial and error. I can see the benefit of using voki in an online course but you really have to invest a huge amount of time to familiarise yourself with the tool. I created another voki whereby instructions on presentations are relayed and I liked it. I know I will be using this tool frequently in my online course to relay important announcements and other useful stuff.

The myths about synchronous teaching give insights into how online learning can be successfully utilised to maximise learning. However, there are questions I would like to raise under some of the myths for us to ponder upon and to think of possible solutions.

Myth 1 – I agree that OL is not impersonal on the argument that students get to participate more on OL as opposed to ‘traditional’ learning, and that accessibility to the course can be done at any time and from any where. I would like to raise the following issue:

1.       Learner Verification - how can you verify that the one participating in the course is actually Peter, or Tom, (the one who actually enrolled to do the course) and not a cousin, a relative or a friend?  I raise this because it is possible and I don’t want to give a grade to someone who does not deserve it.  
Myth 2 – Yes, I am afraid my learners would spend more time on facebook, twitter, chatting instead of spending quality time on their online course to produce quality work. I know that this is a big distraction to students, so how can we facilitators ensure that students are actually learning and producing quality work?
Myth 3 – I agree with this myth in that your class is unique and your job as the facilitator is to develop your virtual classroom and make it as interesting as it can possibly be with very clear instructions and lots and lots of activities to motivate your learners into participating. The virtual classroom is your learning environment and you are responsible for making it a ‘learning’ arena.

Myth 4 – I believe that Blogs have values and therefore clear explanation as to how and what to do are very much needed. May be it is better to lay down the ground rules and objectives of Blogs right from the start. Feedbacks from facilitators are also needed to give guidance and correct students’ writing and also to encourage them to do what is expected of them.

Myth 5 – before taking this course, I used to think like this – that forums are just ways to pass on messages from the facilitator to students or vis versa. The thought was the result of students in my course not feeling keen to participate in forums even if they were asked to contribute to a topic. I now know that the failure rested on the way my course was designed. Topics needed to be more practical and relevant to learners, and also participation in forums (in my course) has to be awarded marks as a motivating factor.

In all the myths, one thing is crystal clear and is becoming crucial in the development of online learning, that is, the role of the facilitator. She/he has a vital role to play to promote and maximise learning through online, and I would like to end by saying that we (facilitators) have a lot to think about and do with our future online courses.

All the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment